I have been instilling Grandson with his Native ways. I talk to him in Navajo, I explain to him the old teachings of our people. How life was suppose to be before all the nonsense came to play. How the beauty of this world surrounds us individually. When he prays, mean it from his heart and soul. Not just pray for our family, friends, our animals, and such but for everyone, every being, everything that Heavenly Father has to offered to us every day. Also to have respect for everything around him, people, animals, plants, the mother earth, himself, everything. Life is important. He is important. Live, learn in harmony.
One day I would love to start taking him to ceremonies, and have him see what our culture is all about. In a lot of ways, I want to stay here on the grounds of our ancestors, but the opportunities here are very limited.
I speak to him in our language, as well as English. Grandpa speaks to him in German, Chinese, or Spanish sometimes so he knows there are a lot of people of different origins. He says Grandpa knows four languages, and we know three.
When some people are being in a foul mood, they don’t necessarily target him, they are just venting out their anger because they are not happy right now. The whole conversation came when he just wanted to play with a girl his age and the mother yanked her away from him and told him to stay away. I was in shock, but I figured she wasn’t in the best of mind to be in that mood. Unless of course, there’s something ‘wrong’ with her daughter, because there’s absolutely nothing wrong with my Grandson. He isn’t naughty and out of hand out in public.
We have taught him early on about the 'Prejudice' and how out of ignorancy people tend to judge others. He has never judged anyone. Just last week he had a hilarious moments with a boy with a disfigured face. I was hoping he wouldn't say anything questioning about the disfigurement, or that the child was too different to look at, but he was laughing and having a hoopla of a time with the boy. I was happy. Grandson makes me happy.